Our clinical network is an essential source of user feedback for evaluating the clinical relevance and feasibility of developed software solutions. In addition, it ensures the strong focus of MEVIS' work on clinical relevance. Only few comparable R&D institutes exist worldwide. With respect to clinical know-how MEVIS has been one of the trendsetters from the very beginning. It can be stated that there is an above average clinical understanding of our employees compared to most other centers of competence. Furthermore, an extremely valuable medical domain knowledge exists within Fraunhofer MEVIS, especially concerning the topics lung, breast, cardio, brain, liver, prostate, and oncology. As a competitive advantage, we have more than one hundred clinical partners worldwide.
Key points of our clinical expertise:
- Employees have extensive understanding of clinical workflows and standards, imaging necessities and pathophysiology
- Clinical know-how, combined with software competence are prerequisites for being the link between clinicians and industry
- Established interfaces with clinicians: software prototypes, data exchange, project meetings, workshops, joint publications, grant proposals
- Collaboration at all stages of software development: specification, development, evaluation, testing, product and maintenance
- High level clinical partners in the fields of liver, breast, image-guided interventions, cardio etc.
- Educational aspects: clinical visits and observation, MEVIS Medical Academy
We continuously aim for a good visibility of Fraunhofer MEVIS within the clinical scientific community. This comprises clinical conferences and journals, participation in societies (e.g., German Radiological Society), and working groups. Important congress meetings, where Fraunhofer MEVIS tries to be represented on a regular basis are among others: RSNA, ECR, German Röntgenkongress, ISMRM, and SPIE.